2023-24 Extended Care Counselor
Job Summary: As a Counselor in the extended care program you are responsible to assist in the execution of daily lesson plans and help to provide a structured and fun environment that students will easily engage in. You will assist in providing school age care and act as the assistant for Lexington Christian Academy’s Extended Care program for preschool - 5th grade students. As a counselor your main responsibility will be to manage and execute daily activities in your assigned age group. You will maintain a ratio of students to teachers that is within state guidelines, and you will be responsible for keeping accurate attendance of your students at all times. You will play a vital role in the students’ development both socially and emotionally.
Schedule: Monday - Friday 2:30pm – 6:00 pm (schedules may vary based on availability)
- Assist the On-site Director in providing quality extended care services preschool - 5th grade students.
- Assist the On-site Director with the implementation of the lesson plans.
- Supervise children, with safety being the first priority.
- Help to plan, prepare, organize and assist in leading a variety of enriching and age appropriate activities as assigned.
- Instruct students on the safe and proper use of supplies and equipment.
- Assist in daily snack preparations for the children in the extended care program.
- Control and maintain supplies and inventory
- Attend all staff meetings as required by director.
- Participate in cleaning and maintaining the facilities and equipment. This includes but is not limited to wiping down tables, sweeping floors, taking out trash, picking up toys, organizing supplies, etc.
- Implement positive discipline techniques and group management.
- Interact professionally and appropriately with children, parents, teachers, school staff, community members, and co-workers.
- Assist in maintaining student attendance and participation records.
- Report observations and incidents (e.g. discipline, accidents, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) to on-site director.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships and open communication with other staff, parents, children and school administration and faculty.
- Participate in and evaluate the effectiveness of activities and events.
- Uphold the school’s policies and practices.
- Assume any other duties as directed by the On-site Director and/or Director of Elementary Student Services
- Must be able to supervise the children by sight and sound at all times
- Must have oral, auditory, and written communication skills appropriate for interacting with both children and adults
- Must be able to move freely and quickly through the building and outside
- Must be able to comprehend and implement state licensing rules as they relate to child
Qualifications for appointment
1. High School Diploma
2. First Aid/CPR/Lifeguard certification a plus
Required Knowledge and Experience:
1. Extended Care or Summer Camp experience
2. Childcare experience, customer service experience
Required Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to lead by example, communicate effectively and appropriately
2. Possess the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and accommodate changes quickly and gracefully
3. Maintain joy even under stress and/or having a bad day.
Apply for this position here.