Full-Time Elementary Intervention Specialist
To provide direct instruction to students, collaborate with classroom teachers, to coordinate services, and to facilitate professional development for staff and parents as needed.
Example of duties
In addition to the position description, duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provides direct instruction to students identified as eligible for services in individual, and/or small group settings.
- Uses identified needs to guide the learning process toward student achievement of content standards.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units and projects using formal and informal assessment data obtained from students.
- Uses a variety of manipulatives and hands-on activities to support content standards and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Creates a classroom environment and research-based program of study that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Deliver and use assessment results to diagnose areas of deficit and make instructional decisions that address students’ weaknesses.
- Develop and deliver targeted instruction appropriate to the needs and abilities of assigned students through a variety of teaching models and small group instruction using materials appropriate for the age and skill level of students.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and implement research-based strategies that attend to students with learning gaps.
- Develop a system of intervention that includes differentiation strategies and incorporates the use of concrete models.
- Incorporate the use of technology in instructional planning, progress monitoring and instructional delivery.
- Provides written evidence of lesson plans, assessments, etc. to immediate supervisor.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and up-to-date records of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Conducts or participates in needed parent conferences and telephone conferences.
- Collaborates with classroom teachers in regard to specific individuals and student groups involved in intervention.
- Conducts student assessments to identify those eligible for intervention services, to plan instruction, and/or to assist staff members in learning various assessment techniques. Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Collaborates, as needed, with appropriate campus personnel regarding students who may need specialized interventions.
- Available to classroom teachers, administration, and parents to discuss assessments and progress of individual students.
Professional Development responsibilities:
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence through professional development activities.
- Participates in discussions or activities focused on using research to improve skills.
- Participates in staff development focused on delivery of intervention and assessment.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor or his/her designee.
Qualifications, education and experience:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Current Teaching Certificate
- Three or more years of successful teaching experience (preferred)
- Special Education background a plus
- Experience working with students in elementary grades
- Ability to organize time and resources
- Demonstrated skill in working with students with learning differences
- Strong data tracking and analysis skills
- An ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues, families and students
- A belief that everyone is gifted with a unique potential
- A commitment to character development and family partnerships
teaching at Lexington Christian academy:
To prepare our students to serve Christ in this competitive, global world of the 21st century, we are deeply committed to academic excellence. Our academic program is comprehensive and taught within a Christian framework. Beginning in preschool, the academic program is designed to lay a solid academic and spiritual foundation for our students. LCA students are challenged to excel as they are being prepared for our nation’s best college and universities. Lexington Christian Academy’s administration and faculty recognize and understand that all students learn differently. The school strives to provide instruction that fosters optimal academic functioning in all students regardless of individual learning differences and styles. The mission of Lexington Christian Academy is to provide a creative, loving, academic environment for children to grow spiritually, socially, emotionally, physically, and academically through individual and group learning experiences under the guidance and nurture of carefully chosen Christian teachers, administrators, and under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Apply for this position here.